All VCI programs are defined as competencies that the student has to master. Each program contains a number of competency units (courses). Each competency unit has elements of competency, which are expressed by, or broken down into, performance criteria.
For example, the competency unit, Homiletics 1 (MIN501), consists of the following elements of competency:
- Define the message for the target group.
- Prepare an outline for the biblical message.
- Deliver the biblical message.
- Evaluate the biblical message.
The first element “define the message for the target group”, is determined by the following four performance criteria:
- Decide on a biblical passage.
- Exegete the biblical passage and establish its absolutes.
- Identify the needs of the target group.
- Formulate the purpose of the biblical message.
Students need to provide evidence of competency by doing different types of assignments, e.g. presentations in class, writing reports on ministry activities, demonstrating practical ministry skills, showing on a biblical text how it was analyzed, contributions to discussions, etc.